Take action today by entering your street address below!
HB 947 targets your constitutional right to belong to your union. Even worse this bill would actually terminate your union membership without your consent and force you to rejoin your union periodically. However, to rejoin your union under the new law will require your employer verify your request to do so. This puts your employer in charge of your union membership for the first time in Florida’s history.
As our state begins to recover from the Covid pandemic, there is much work to be done to address the needs of Florida’s students, educators and public schools. The Legislature should spend their time solving the very real problems that do exist instead of creating solutions in search of a problem.
Enter your street address below to tell the members of the committee to vote no on HB 947 (Enter your street address, then click the magnifying glass icon or press “enter” to proceed.)
If you’re not sure what to say, you can find talking points on these bills below.
Members of the State Affairs Committee
Your email will automatically go to all members of the committee.
- Our frontline workers, including educators, have been keeping Florida running during the pandemic. It is never appropriate to make life harder for these workers.
- These bills are big government bills which limit the individual freedoms of many frontline workers, including educators. Why should workers be required to jump through more hoops? Joining an employee organization is a personal decision. Our frontline workers do not need more regulations and big government overseeing their personal decisions.
- No one has asked for these bills – and they are not needed. Current law protects employees’ rights and allows them to join or terminate their membership at any time. All this bill will do, is make it harder for individuals to exercise their constitutional right to join their union/employee (professional) organization.
- HB 835 and HB 947 is unnecessary. Florida is a right to work state. Workers NEVER have to join their union. It is their choice whether and when to join. And can cancel their membership at any time for any reason.
- These bills do not address any problems in Florida and does nothing to improve the situation for our public sector employees.