What the Bill Does
Senate Bill 1014 contains numerous anti-union provisions including requiring:
- All instructional and support staff locals to be above 50% on December 31st of each year;
- All members to rejoin the union on August 1, 2021 and re-sign every 2 years;
- All members to sign a notice with the district that they know they do not have to join the union;
- School districts to verify that the member actually signed up for the union;
- PERC investigate and verify information provided by the union regarding membership numbers;
- FLDOE create rules for districts to follow as they verify membership and intent of members to join the union; and,
- Unions include a specific disclaimer, in 14-point, bold font, basically saying Florida is right to work and you don’t have to join.
Unlike SB 78 which has many similar provisions, SB 1014 excluded police, firefighters and all other public employees except for educators.
SB 1014 has been referred to the following committees:
It has not been placed on the agenda for any committee yet, we will let you know as soon as it is on an agenda.
We oppose this bill.
- Our frontline workers, including teachers and support staff, have been keeping Florida running during the pandemic. It is never appropriate to make life harder for these workers.
- This bill is a big government bill that a. Why should workers be required to jump through more hoops? Joining an employee organization is a personal decision. Educators do not need more regulations and big government overseeing their personal decisions.
- No one has asked for this bill – and it is not needed. Current law protects employees’ rights and allows them to join or terminate their membership at any time. All this bill will do, is make it harder for individuals to exercise their constitutional right to join their union/employee (professional) organization.
- SB 1014 is unnecessary. Florida is a right to work state. Workers NEVER have to join their union. It is their choice whether and when to join. And can cancel their membership at any time for any reason.