Submit a resume and a cover letter to apply. Positions open until filled. Preferred treatment will be given to candidates who apply on or before May 19, 2023.
The United Faculty of Florida (UFF) is seeking to hire Temporary Full-Time Organizers to work with higher education union organizing teams to convert more than 8,700 members to our new eDues payment system and build union density to supermajority status. Candidates who fill this position will be responsible for advancing our campaign, which includes:
- leader identification, development and support for chapter Organizing Committee teams and a Department Rep structure (or “Stewards”) to organize for union power at the worksite level;
- training and coaching for members and Reps on eDues conversion, new member recruitment and activist development;
- management of an organizing database (Action Builder, google docs);
- tracking eDues conversion and moving members through the process (FEA Central Membership System);
- individual and group outreach (door-to-door on campus and at homes, small group events, large group events, phone & virtual);
- collaboration with an organizing team to create internal and external content to advance the campaign;
- cultivation of relationships with external stakeholders across various organizations to promote and support the campaign;
- incorporation of voter registration and participation by students and higher education professionals in the advancement of an engaged citizenry and high participation in the elective franchise across Florida;
- development and support in creation of promotional ideas, materials, and tools to track and assess campaign support.
The positions are time-limited at six-months with a possible extension opportunity and begin as soon as possible. Candidates must be willing to travel across Florida and available to work evenings and weekends, as needed. Primary assignments will be regionally-based, but statewide travel is required. Organizers must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation as well as a functioning smart phone. Other equipment and support to do the job will be provided.
The successful candidate should possess:
- At least 3 years experience working for a labor union, an allied movement, or higher education institution;
- Movement/Union experience and grounding in foundations of Organizing and Building Member Power;
- Social Justice orientation grounded by principles of equality and fairness;
- Familiarity with higher education (structure, workforce, context);
- At minimum, a Bachelor’s degree;
- Experience in managing lists/databases, preferably Action Builder;
- Advanced skills in the use of MS-Office (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) tools, utilizing data software and third-party systems (i.e., Hustle, SendGrid, Action Network)
- Experience with organizing campaigns as a leader or staffer;
- A diversified background in leading projects and have a presence/reputation that makes others want to work with them;
- Ability to develop productive and sustain relationships with diverse groups of people.
The position requires self-motivation, a passion for one-on-one organizing, and administrative competence. Ability to speak and write with professional skill and authority is essential. A desire to learn, listen and move others to action is a must. The candidate must be able to travel and be available for meetings with other organizers, staff, and target organizing constituencies. For entry-level positions, training and field shadowing opportunities will be provided.
Benefits and Compensation
UFF is prepared to offer a competitive salary based on experience and generous health benefits. This position is outside of the FEA/Florida Staff Organization collective bargaining unit.