The Florida Education Association (FEA) is the largest association of professional employees and the largest labor union in the Southeast, representing more than 150,000 members. FEA members include teachers, education staff professionals, higher education faculty and graduate assistants, retirees, education students, and early career educators. FEA represents the professional and working interests of its members and plays a prominent role in shaping state policies that affect public schools. FEA is a merged state association affiliated with both the National Education Association (NEA) and the American Federation of Teachers (AFT).
The Staff Attorney assists and helps implement the FEA’s legal programs in conjunction with, and under the supervision of, the FEA General Counsel/Director of Legal Services, and/or Chief of Staff. Staff attorney serves as an adviser to FEA Governance, FEA Local Affiliates, FEA staff and FEA members by providing legal advice and representation in a wide variety of venues.
- Juris Doctorate Degree from ABA-accredited law school with strong academics.
- Active license in the Florida Bar (or comparable state bar with application pending for the Florida Bar).
- Applicants with experience performing senior-level legal representation at a law firm, union, corporation, governmental agency, or other entity preferred.
- Applicants who have strong litigation experience in state and federal courts and before administrative agencies (State Board of Education, EEOC, PERC, FCHR, arbitration forums) preferred
- Applicant must demonstrate a high degree of interpersonal skills, and be able to interact with FEA Governance, staff, members and the general public
- Applicant must possess strong computer research, writing, analytical, and communication skills.
- Knowledge and expertise in labor or education law preferred.
- Some travel required.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Represent FEA, Service Units and members in legal actions before state and federal courts.
- Represent FEA, Service Units and members in final administrative hearings before state agencies (PERC, EPC, DOAH and local school boards).
- Serve as legal consultant to FEA, Service Units and members, rendering oral and written opinions on matters as appropriate.
- Assist in the development and presentation of training programs for staff and local affiliate leaders to ensure proper representation in areas where participation by an attorney is not required such as grievances, arbitration, collective bargaining, mediation, and special master (impasse) proceedings.
- Assist in informing state and local staff of all current legal developments affecting FEA Service Units and members.
- Assist in drafting and review of legislation that affects FEA members.
- Serve as Legal support and/or Committee Liaison as assigned by Director of Legal Services.
- Identify and develop relevant member and staff legal materials.
- Assist in the administration of the Legal Services Programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Legal Services.
- Acknowledge and support the advancement of FEA’s vision, mission, and strategic goals.
- Identify, contribute to, and support new opportunities to advance FEA’s vision, mission, and strategic goals.
- Perform all work assignments in a manner that effectively and efficiently utilizes FEA resources.
- Contribute to and support the development and implementation of departmental and interdepartmental programs and services.
- Perform all duties, responsibilities, and assignments within the guidelines outlined in the FSO/FEA Collective Bargaining Agreement and in accordance with FEA Policies and Procedures.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary for this position is determined by the negotiated agreement between the Florida Education Association and the Florida Staff Organization based on relevant and comparable experience. FEA provides medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term-disability insurance to its employees and eligible family members with no monthly employee premiums. Additionally, FEA offers two retirement options, annual leave, sick leave, personal leave, and paid holidays.