The Florida Education Association (FEA) is the largest association of professional employees and the largest labor union in the Southeast, representing more than 150,000 members. FEA members include teachers, education staff professionals, higher education faculty and graduate assistants, retirees, education students, and early career educators. FEA represents the professional and working interests of its members and plays a prominent role in shaping state policies that affect public schools.
The Paralegal Specialist assists with implementing FEA’s legal programs and services under the supervision of the FEA General Counsel/Director of Legal Services and FEA Deputy General Counsel. The Paralegal Specialist serves as a support to FEA Governance, FEA Local Affiliates, and FEA members by providing paralegal support to the General Counsel, Deputy General Counsel, and Staff Attorneys.
- At least three years of paralegal experience in civil litigation is required.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and administrative rules and procedure is required.
- Ability to manage cases from initial discovery through conclusion is required.
- Strong research, writing, and analytical skills are required.
- Exceptional organizational skills are required.
- Ability to perform a variety of complex duties accurately while meeting timelines with limited supervision is required.
- High degree of interpersonal skills and ability to professionally interact/communicate verbally and in writing with FEA Governance, staff, members, and the public is required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint, remote meeting technology such as Zoom or Teams, legal research applications, and legal case management systems is required.
- Knowledge of labor, employment, or education law is preferred.
- Experience with supporting cases before the Public Employee Relations Commission is preferred.
- Ability to travel is required.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage a wide scope of paralegal functions including drafting correspondence, drafting discovery requests and responses, drafting subpoenas, reviewing and summarizing data and facts, coordinating witness and client meetings including depositions, managing attorney calendars, and all things related to legal case management.
- Monitor case files to ensure compliance with mandated deadlines.
- Work closely with members to obtain documents and information needed to comply with case discovery and investigation.
- Review client case files and summarize pertinent information.
- Ensure case files are organized and available to all pertinent parties.
- Draft notices, motions, briefs and orders for state and federal courts and administrative bodies.
- Assist attorney with preparation for depositions, mediations, hearings, and trials.
- Develop member and staff legal materials, including presentations and other educational materials.
- Route and track legal questions from local affiliates to in-house attorneys and assist with responses.
- Perform administrative duties as needed to assist with legal case management.
- Record daily billable hours.
- Assist in the administration of the Legal Services Program.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the General Counsel or Deputy General Counsel.
- Acknowledge and support the advancement of FEA’s vision, mission, and strategic goals.
- Identify, contribute to, and support new opportunities to advance FEA’s vision, mission, and strategic goals.
- Perform all work assignments in a manner that effectively and efficiently utilizes FEA resources.
- Contribute to and support the development and implementation of departmental and interdepartmental programs and services.
- Perform all duties, responsibilities, and assignments within the guidelines outlined in the FSO/FEA Collective Bargaining Agreement and in accordance with FEA Policies and Procedures.
- Possess knowledge of FEA’s governance policies and procedures, organization structure, and general policies and procedures.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary will be based on relevant experience and qualifications. FEA provides medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance to its employees and eligible family members with no monthly employee premiums. Additionally, FEA provides retirement options, vacation leave, sick leave, and paid holidays.