The Florida Education Association (FEA) is the largest association of professional employees and the largest labor union in the Southeast, representing more than 150,000 members. FEA members include teachers, education staff professionals, higher education faculty and graduate assistants, retirees, education students, and early career educators. FEA represents the professional and working interests of its members and plays a prominent role in shaping state policies that affect public schools.
The Florida Education Association (FEA) seeks an Administrative Assistant to join the Island Coast Service Unit. The ideal candidate for this position will exhibit creative problem-solving abilities, excellent customer service skills, the ability to work independently, advanced Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel skills, and the ability to remain organized while managing multiple, competing assignments. This position is responsible for providing a wide variety of administrative support and manages requests for information from FEA staff, local union leaders, FEA members, and the public.
At least two years of professional administrative experience is required. A high school graduate with one or two years of college or advanced training is preferred. Skilled proficiency in MS Office Suite including Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel is required. Familiarity with the operations of a membership organization or labor union is highly desirable. Must possess the ability to professionally communicate both orally and in writing. Must possess the ability to understand and adhere to departmental operations and procedures. The ability to work independently and manage multiple projects is critically important. Bilingual is desirable.
- Provide a variety of administrative support to the Island Coast Service Unit professional staff including, but not limited to, maintaining organized hard copy and electronic files, maintaining calendars, coordinating business travel, processing incoming and outgoing mail, serving as the primary receptionist, and preparing written correspondence.
- Provide excellent customer service to members via the telephone, email, and in-person.
- Accurately and efficiently coordinate membership processing and maintenance of membership records.
- Efficiently and effectively use Microsoft Suite including Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel.
- Efficiently and effectively use Microsoft SharePoint and Teams platforms.
- Coordinate with FEA’s finance staff to ensure the timely submission of member dues and processing of invoices.
- Prepare and distribute reports on local association matters, Coordinating Council, and other governance activities.
- Coordinate meetings, conferences, conventions, workshops, and facilitate acquisition and participant registration.
- Order and maintain the inventory of office supplies for the Service Unit office, including transmission of all monthly billings to the FEA Headquarters.
- Maintain accurate and organized financial records for the Service Unit.
- Prepare and file legally required notices and reports.
- Research and distribute information requested by officers, directors/managers, staff, and members.
- Manage and coordinate special projects as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Service Unit Directors, Regional Manager, or Director of Organizing and Field Services.
- Acknowledge and support the advancement of FEA’s vision, mission, and strategic goals.
- Identify, contribute to, and support new opportunities to advance FEA’s vision, mission, and strategic goals.
- Perform all work assignments in a manner that effectively and efficiently utilizes FEA resources.
- Contribute to and support the development and implementation of departmental and interdepartmental programs and services.
- Perform all duties, responsibilities, and assignments within the guidelines outlined in the FSO/FEA Collective Bargaining Agreement and in accordance with FEA Policies and Procedures.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary for this position is determined by the negotiated agreement between the Florida Education Association and the Florida Staff Organization based on credited experience. FEA provides medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term-disability insurance to its employees with no employee premiums. Additionally, FEA provides employer- paid retirement options, vacation leave, sick leave, and paid holidays.